The Challenge for Sustainability was launched in 2009 to leverage the environmental leadership of Boston’s private sector. Since its inception, the Challenge has fostered over 1,500 sustainability projects and initiatives, helping participants reduce 18% of total greenhouse gas emissions to date, and save millions of dollars in energy and operational costs. Endorsed by the City of Boston, the Challenge works with the region’s top building owners, institutions and companies demonstrating that sustainable business is smart business.
- Offer participants integrated strategies to increase energy efficiency, reduce environmental impact and decrease operational costs.
- Achieve or exceed a cumulative average of 2.5% greenhouse gas reduction per year.
- Assist commercial real estate sector in meeting the “25% by 2020” goal of the Climate Action Plans of Massachusetts, and the cities of Boston and Cambridge.
- Enhance the visibility and recognition of Challenge participants as leaders in climate change and sustainability.
- Share successes and learn best practices.