Law firms are generally high energy use tenants given the long working hours typically associated with the profession. Due to this, law firms may be good candidates for behavior-related energy conservation programs. This pilot program will identify and implement potential sustainability-related activities staff can implement to reduce the environmental impact at several law firms.
The proposed law firm behavior conservation program will work to institutionalize a series of sustainability best practices over the course of several months or a preferred timeframe decided on by the pilot participant. The program will include elements such as: measuring firm energy consumption pre- and post-implementation, conducting workspace audits to identify target conservation areas, developing staff training materials, developing program metrics, and creating a staff pledge program with awards and incentives. To ensure program effectiveness, the initiative will take a step-wise approach to sustainability-related behavior change. Participants will be asked to make small, incremental changes that eventually lead to sustained and impactful behavior change.
Law Firm Energy and Sustainability Focus Areas
- Plug loads (i.e. printers, desktop computers, etc.)
- Use of overhead vs. task lighting
- Paper recycling
- Printer/paper usage
- Heating and cooling loads
- [Others as identified by participants]
Participating Individuals and Staff
- ABC Staff
- Senior building management [Advisory role]
- Sustainability and energy coordinator
Potential Behavior-based Conservation Activities to Be Explored
- Weekend heating and cooling restrictions
- Plug-load timers and/or other workspace energy demand options
- Task lighting adoption
- Encouraging stair usage over taking the elevator
- Adjusting defaults settings on electronic devices (e.g. copiers,computers, etc.)
- Adjusting default settings on kitchen appliances
- [Other as identified by staff]
The ABC project team will meet with staff to further identify critical issues, develop a project implementation plan and create a timeline. A monitoring plan will also be developed.