Commissioning: Building commissioning is a systematic and documented process of ensuring that a building is functioning to the owner’s operational needs by making sure its systems perform efficiently and its operators are properly trained.
Retro-commissioning: For existing buildings, the commissioning (also known as retro-commissioning) usually focuses on identifying and fixing existing problems, which may have been present at initial construction or developed over the life and use of the building.
Recommissioning: For buildings that have undergone either commissioning or retro-commissioning, recommissioning may be necessary at some point in the future as a check-up, either by a new owner or building manager, or simply to ensure systems are continuing to function properly.
In general, commissioning is recommended upon construction completion, after any renovation, and after set periods of normal building operation.
Building commissioning is beneficial for both new/existing building owners and occupants. For new construction projects, building commissioning reduces the risk of system malfunctions and provides a comprehensive method to assess and improve the way its systems interact and operate. Commissioning also allows building owners to detect problems early on, which frequently results in less expensive resolutions and fewer disputes between the owner and contractor. For existing buildings, retro- and recommissioning identify areas that require improvements to create a safer and more comfortable building while also leading to lower energy use and maintenance costs.
- Read more about the benefits of commissioning and re-commissioning.
Challenge Participants Currently Adopting This Practice
- Boston Properties
- Jamestown Properties
- Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
- New England Aquarium
- Oxford Properties
- Pembroke Real Estate
- Starwood Hotels
- The Colonnade Hotel
- Zoo New England
Financing Options, Incentives, And Rebates
Examples of Building Commissioning and Re-commissioning
- Oregon Dept. of Energy: Hillsboro School District
- Building Commissioning Association
- US Green Building Council
- National Institute of Building Sciences: Whole Building Design Guide
- Building Commissioning: Golden Opportunity for Reducing Energy Costs and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
In The News
- “Building Commissioning to be highlighted at ASHRAE Conference” ACHR News May 2015
- “Commissioning Services to reach $6.6 billion Revenue by 2024” ACHR News, April 2015
- “‘Building Doctors’ Deliver Energy Savings” NC State News, September 2014
- “Retro-commissioning Sensor Suitcase Brings Energy Efficiency to Small Commercial Buildings” Berkeley Lab Energy Technologies Area, November 2013
- “Decide Which Type of Building Commissioning is Right for You” GreenBiz, January 2013
- “Retrocommissioning: Big Savings for Big Buildings” BuildingGreen, October 2010
- “Is Your Building Running at Optimum Efficiency?” Boston Business Journal, May 2008