An inventory of all electronics, equipment, and appliances that consume energy will provide a baseline to energy managers and assist with future energy management efforts. Conducting an inventory entails determining each product’s energy use, estimating the hours it is used per year, and calculating the annual energy consumption and energy cost of the product. Determining whether equipment carries the ENERGY STAR label and whether an ENERGY STAR labeled replacement option exists will help in planning energy efficiency upgrades.
Establishing baseline energy inventory assists energy managers in creating an energy efficiency plan. An inventory of electronics can help provide valuable insight into areas where energy consumption can be minimized or managed more efficiently. Looking for ENERGY STAR labels on existing equipment helps energy managers assess the potential energy savings from an upgrade to a newer, more efficient model, if available. These newer models have a reduced carbon footprint and are more sustainable than their older alternatives.
Resource 1 – NREL (National Renewable Energy Lab) Guide to Assessing and Reducing Plug Load
Resource 2 – NREL accompanying worksheet to inventory plug load
Challenge Participants Currently Adopting This Practice
- A Better City
- Au Bon Pain
- BioMed Realty Trust
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Boston Properties, Inc.
- Community Servings
- Forest City
- Friends of Post Office Square
- Holliday Fenoglio Fowler LP
- John Hancock/Manulife Financial
- Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
- Meister Consultants
- Nixon Peabody
- Nutter, McClennen & Fish, LLP
- Peabody Office Furniture
- TD Garden
- Tsoi/Kobus & Associates
- Turner Construction
Financing Options, Incentives, And Rebates
Local Service Providers / Consultants
- Free consultation – J. Michael Walker, Beacon Consultants Network (a US EPA ENERGY STAR Technical Support Contractor), p: 617-921-8445, firstname.lastname@example.org
- EPA: Electricity Used by Office Equipment and Network Equipment in the U.S.
- EIA: Office Energy Consumption Survey
- Business Energy Advisor: Office Equipment
In The News
- “GSA Tests Innovative Building Technologies, Aims for Savings” HeraldOnline.com, September 2012
- “Unload your plug load” CasperJournal.com, August 2012
- “How a modlet sparked a competition for energy efficiency at Greif” Greenbiz.com, August 2012