Energy efficient exit signs are longer-lasting, low- or no-energy consuming exit signs. They are lit by light-emitting diodes (LEDs) or photoluminescent technology.
Replacing traditional fluorescent or incandescent exit signs with LED or photoluminescent exit signs can save up to $40 in electricity costs per exit sign per year. Energy efficient exit signs require less maintenance due to their longer life spans. They represent a low-cost, low-labor opportunity to increase the energy efficiency and safety of a facility.
- Read more about the benefits and of energy efficient exit signs.
- How to buy energy efficient exit signs.
Challenge Participants Currently Adopting This Practice
Financing Options, Incentives, And Rebates
Examples of Boston Sites Adopting Energy Efficient Measures
- The Onyx Hotel – Kimpton Hotels
A Small Sample of Energy Efficient Exit Sign Suppliers and Providers
- ENERGY STAR Exit Signs Key Product Criteria
- ENERGY STAR: Exit Sign Lifecycle Cost Calculator
- ENERGY STAR: Sure Energy Savers
- U.S. Department of Energy: Outline of Energy Conservation and Efficiency Incentives
In The News
- “White LED Exit Sign Bulbs offer longer life, energy savings” ThomasNet Industrial Newsroom, July 2009
- “Green Promise Seen in Switch to LED Lighting” The New York Times, May 2009
- “Eco-Friendly Exit Signs Don’t Require Electricity to Glow” TreeHugger.com, December 2008